Monday, January 17, 2011

Mary Ellen's Quilt, c. 1989, approximately 74" x 74"

I began to dig out some quilt tops today.  This is one that I designed and made while living with my Mom, Mary Ellen.  OK, so the only appropriate name for this quilt is Mary Ellen's Quilt, right? 


This is a detail of the center of the top

I've always machine-pieced so imagine my surprise and delight when I found some hand-pieced patches in this quilt.  The only explanation could be that Mom, as if she were still here and was pushing me to get back into quilting, left me her legacy when she hand-pieced some of this top.  What a touching discovery this was for me!  Thanks Mom for everything you did for me!  Oh, and you'll be seeing some of her work in this blog in the near future.     

One corner of the center panel.  These are just two different blocks selected by "eyeing" where they intersect and bleed into one another.


That's all for now.  I've got the day off so I wanted to spend some of it in my sewing room.  I joined the Michael Miller Clubhouse at the Raleigh Wish Upon a Quilt Shop (www.wishuponaquilt.com) and am making the Bonnes Amies "Marseille" quilt.  The design is by Swirly Girls.  You may link to this quilt here:  http://www.michaelmillerclubhouse.com/index.php


Until next time, keep quilting! 


Love,
Judie   

No comments:

Post a Comment